Tuesday, 4 January 2011

Big Ol' Mouthful of Humble (Veggie) Pie

I am a vegetarian.

I never thought I would say that, let alone commit it in writing. I've been a happy omnivore for my 30 and a half years. But as of 31 December 2010, I am gonna try really, really hard not to eat meat.

"Meat" being beef, pork, poultry, game, and fish. I'm still clinging rather desperately to the dairy-and-egg lifeboat, reasoning that shocking myself into veganism will be at best unsuccessful, at worst potentially unhealthy. I'm still learning to love legumes, for Pete's sake.

I've met a lot of vegetarians. The subject usually rears its head at meals with colleagues or new friends. When someone casually mentions that they abstain from meat, you can count the seconds before someone (usually me) asks "Why?". A lot of people would give a lot of different answers, and for a long time I would nod respectfully and then order the steak, 'rare enough that a good vet could save it'. I mean, we have canine teeth for a reason, right? I suppose you could define my opinion of vegetarians as somewhere between really missing out and just plain sad.

I'll probably get into my reasons for making the switch at a later point. Suffice it to say that it's a combination of things, ethics and health being the two main ones.

I know it's not always going to be as easy as the first few days have been. I will face temptation and (most likely) willpower reduced by the consumption of a beer or two. It's early days, I've already faced my first few jibes and jokes, and for the most part, incredulity. I am, after all, the girl who started Meat Club at work.

Why blog about it? Blogging is kind of 2008. I'm going to use this as a support mechanism for weak moments, or maybe a confession booth for when I do give in (I can't imagine I won't). It might give my friends and family a chance to understand why I would make such a heinous decision. Heck, maybe someday it just might inspire someone to eat less (or no) meat! Alas, a lofty goal. In the meantime this'll be somewhere to hang my interwebs hat, share recipes and cool Vancouver veggie finds, and occasionally moan about really wanting a burger.

Thanks for reading :)

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with it, Hanna! I of course find this decision mystifying (meat = delicious) but I support you and your soybean-related adventures.

    ~Chelsea

    ReplyDelete